Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Happy diwali! :-)


I'm not sure if anybody of our English course has heard of "Diwali" and for that reason I would like to explain it to you :)

It's a festival celebrated in India by Hindus and Sikhs ( Sikhism is a religion that is, in the first case,believed by people, the Sikhs, living in northern India. That state is called Punjab. )
The date depends on the appearance of the new moon, so it varies every year between the end of october and the beginning of november. This year, it is celebrated today, on november the 13th.

You could compare Diwali with Christmas because it is seen as the biggest festival of Sikhs, also known under "The festival of lights" Historically seen, the Sikhs celebrate the return of one of their Gurus, Guru Har Gobind, who had won against Jahangir, the forth Mughal Emperor. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jahangir for further information :) )

Diwali is celebrated differentely all over the world but I can say that most people of the Punjab tend to set up special,small candles, called Diwa, in the whole house so that it's beautifully enlightened. By doing so, they wish to bring happiness, prosperity and healthiness to their homes. Families usually come together and children get presents or money. "Mithai", which are traditonal Indian sweets, is eaten and the whole house is cleaned up for "receiving" the three wished things mentioned above.

I personally really enjoy spending Diwali with my family but this year I couldn't because I wasn't at home due to my studies in Graz. That saddened me a little bit but still, I'm looking forward to next year to hopefully spend this big festival with my family. :)

Even though I know that there's hardly anybody whom I know who celebrates this festival, I still wish you all a HAPPY DIWALI! :) 



 This picture shows the "Diwas".


 Indian sweets, the so called "Mithai".








This is a photo of the biggest Sikh temple in the city Amritsar which is also the capital of the state Punjab. It is not only famous because it is covered with gold but also for the overwhelming Diwali that is celebrated there by enlightening the whole temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment