Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pronunciation Diary blog 2

In order to improve my pronunciation, I have been doing exercises on some of the websites which are listed on Frank’s week-by-week.  As I wanted to know if I can at least pronounce basic English words correctly, I did a pronunciation test on the website antimoon.com. I was quite satisfied when I got 9 points out of ten.

When I had a look on some of the other pronunciation websites that are listed on the week-by-week, I came across a video of a guy called Garret Jameson who explains how to do a British accent. As I personally have chosen to focus on the British accent, I found this video quite helpful even though it lasts only about three minutes. Garret explains which sounds need to be pronounced resulting in a British accent. I repeated the words and sample sentences which he recommended to practise, like “Are there more birds”. He explains this in order to get a certain accent, it is important to practise the isolate specific sounds of an accent and that is what I’ve been trying to focus on. Therefore, I studied the examples that are listed on the website shiporsheep. I like it because it provides always two words and their pronunciation which you can listen to. In this way, it is possible to compare the various specific sounds, like the “a” or “u”.


I’m still trying to find other websites that could help me to improve my pronunciation, but my aim until the end of this semester is to dispose of a pronunciation that is at least similar to the British one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment