Saturday, January 11, 2014

Reflection on the Pecha Kucha experience

As I had never heard of it before, I was at the beginning a bit doubtful about the Pecha Kucha presentation. After having done some research, I then wrongly thought that this sort of presentation wouldn't be too difficult to create or to give and underestimated the effort completely.

When my teammate Diana and I started collecting information on our topic (the Austrian Armed Forces), we first of all found out that the website of the Austrian Armed Forces was written in an extremely bad English. This was quite shocking. Due to this reason, we had to rewrite most the information which we wanted to use.  
What I liked most about preparing the presentation was the interviewing-part. We spoke to two people which worked in different work spaces for the Austrian Armed Forces. In this way, we had two diverse views concerning our topic which I thought was quite interesting. However, it cost us a lot of time to translate both interviews into English because both interviewed persons spoke German.

Once having collected all relevant information, I then found it extremely difficult to create the tape script for our presentation. To be honest, it was quite nerve wracking to adapt it to each slide. Especially during our first attempts, the tape script was always longer than the required 20 seconds per slide. It took us a lot of time to elaborate the final version of our tape script but when we were done, Diana and I were quite satisfied.

When it came to studying the tape script and preparing to give the presentation, I again underestimated the effort. I had never imagined that it would be that much difficult to figure out the right speech speed so that each slide perfectly matched to what I was saying. In order to be well prepared, Diana and I practiced together for an entire evening.

I was extremely nervous when it was our turn to give the presentation in class. The beginning of it went entirely as planned but then Diana suddenly spoke longer than expected for a slide. At first, I was about to panic, but then I somehow managed to keep calm and carry on with the presentation. I simply condensed my part of the tape script a bit which I had actually planned to say. I think that (hopefully) nobody noticed this small mistake during our presentation. The rest of it went again as planned.


To sum up, I am quite satisfied with our Pecha Kucha presentation.  If somebody asked me what I would do differently the next time, I would say that I would start preparing much earlier. I learned from this experience that this sort of presentation shouldn't be underestimated. The feedback, that our teachers gave us concerning our pronunciation, was, in my opinion, the best part. It’s a valuable opportunity that helps us students a lot to improve our pronunciation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment